Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Decorating with vintage books




When decorating with books I tend to prefer the colors of old book covers.  I select colors that compliment the decor and color palette of whatever room I'm designing at the time.  In this little arrangement I have a great stack of books being used as a pedestal for a vintage piece of coral, paired with a 1940's transfer-ware lamp with a hip new lampshade, a bit of greenery, a handmade decorative horn ball and wooden trinket box and viola!, a collection of pretty things that date from 1894 to 2009.  All of it looks great on the 1920's wicker and wood writing desk.

I'll admit that I shop by color first but somehow I always end up buying books with subjects that interest me as well.  Currently my oldest book at Urban Island was published in 1894 but I also have one called "Cricket at the Seashore", copyright 1896, that is so sweet.

When I get a chance I even try to read a few.  This week's favorite read is a tiny little book called "The Love Between Friends". A few of my favorites excerpts...

"To know someone with whom you feel there is an understanding in spite of distances or thoughts unexpressed-that can make this earth a garden." Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe (1749-1832)

"Friendship is based on chemistry and trust...and why it happens or why it rises and falls, and rises again, is a mystery, like a fine piece of music." Richard Louv

"There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart." Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)

"The most I can do for my friend is simply to be his friend.  I have no wealth to bestow on him.  If he knows that I am happy in loving him he will want no other reward.  Is not friendship divine in this?" Lavatin

No comments:

Post a Comment